Thursday, April 2, 2009

Popular Culture: The Ipod


What is Popular Culture and What Does it mean to You?

  • Popular Culture or Pop Culture is the prevailing vernacular culture in any given society, including art, cooking, clothing, entertainment, mass media, music, and style. To me popular culture shows off the latest trends whether it deals with clothing, automotive, or technology. The Apple Ipod is and example of popular culture because it's something that is constantly being talked about and advertised in many ways. Ipods are used for a variety of things such as listening to music, storing pictures, watching movies, and podcasts.
Why is an understanding of popular culture relevant to you in a business environment and in your present and future career?

  • Understanding Popular Culture is important to me in a business environment because it lets me know whats hot or what the new trends are coming out. I'm not working at the moment, but in my future career popular culture will play a big part of what I do since I will need to know what kinds of things people think are hot or what people want thats different from other products that are out there. If I'm not aware of whats out in the world then I would have no knowledge of current trends.
What would you consider to be an example of a pop culture artifact? And why would you choose it?

  • I consider the Apple Ipod a pop culture artifact. The Ipod has pretty much replaced CD and cassette players because of advancements in technology and its features. Many people own Ipods since they're easy to use and are an upgrade from portable music devices of the past. With an Ipod all you have to do is buy purchase the song you want from the virtual music store called iTunes and load it onto your ipod and start listening. This eliminates having to go to a music store and buy a CD to put into an MP3 player which makes the ipod a convenient product. The ipod also does other things cassette players and MP3 players can't like play movies, store thousands of songs, store photos, doesn't run on battery power, etc.

5 comments:

  1. The iPod was a really good item to use. I see so many people in public that have an iPod in their ear. I am amazed when I see people that have an iPod on while they are having conversations with other people. It's almost like a type of security blanket. Very good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The IPod is like a portable hard drive and is good for storage. I currently have the IPod Touch and I like it a lot. I can enjoy my favorite movies and music. This is a great pop culture artifact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with you that the IPod is currently a popular culture artifact. The IPod’s popularity is huge. There is currently an extremely large market for IPods, downloads and accessories for them. Many people who use IPods love being able to listen to what they want and when they want. Since radio is overloaded with commercials, morning shows, and DJ’s just talk about useless stuff rather than playing music, which I believe most listeners would rather hear. The IPod is definitely an artifact which has become a staple in our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first comment that I would make is that this blog is very impressive in it's set-up. I really like the style, colors and pictures. It is much better than my own. Defining exactly what popular culture is, is very hard to articulate just as our class texts suggests. The article chosen as an example of popular culture, the iPod, is a very good example. All four member of my own family have their own. It started out as something sought out more by those in their teens to twenties, however, today it is very common for anyone under the age of 60.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew,

    Great job on setting up your blog.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete